“Forget Winnetou!” Documentary Trailer Selected for Film Festival Screening
Pleased to announce the trailer for our upcoming Forget Winnetou- A Documentary Film has been selected for screening at the Avanca Film Festival, 26-30 July 2017!
To view our first official trailer, you can do so here.
Tagline: What does a world that respects Indigenous peoples look like, that’s working towards ending racism, colonialism, and other intersecting oppression on a global scale? -Andrea Marcos
Most films about Native Americans focus exclusively on Native experience in North America, however stereotypes of the original peoples of Turtle Island have spread around the world even as more Natives are living or working abroad. And Germany has one of the most notorious and beloved, sometimes fiercely defended symbol named “Winnetou”, a stereotypical American Indian created by German author Karl May in the late 19th century.
Decades later, despite its inherent racism and colonial nature, the heavily Eurocentrized fictional native and his pseudo Apache tribe are still recreated in films spreading misinformation to new generations. Although surely not the intention, it is still culturally abusive practices that deliberately ignore Natives and others who object, and minimize and/or dismiss multiple research studies on the harm of such behaviors to everyone in society. This must end.
“Just because it’s fiction, doesn’t mean it’s harmless.”
“Reeducating the resistant.”
- Website https://forgetwinnetou.com/
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/forgetwinnetoufilm/
- Twitter https://twitter.com/forgetwinnetou/
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/forgetwinnetou/
- IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6494700/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Recent promotional interviews:
- March 23, 2017 Ich bin nur dem Nein begegnet in print & online at Der Freitag. In Deutsch. (Interview)
- March 14, 2017 Projekt Forget Winnetou! Gegen Klischees die Ureinwohner at Deutschlandradio Kultur. In Deutsch. (Article & Radio Show) podcast available.
- March 3, 2017 Red Haircrow in print & online at Süddeutsche Zeitung. In Deutsch. (Interview)