Varied Spirits Poetry & Art Collection
We live in societies designed to crush our bodies and spirits, that seek to compartmentalize and confine us in every way, especially into heteronormative roles and bodies although gender, sexuality, even intelligence are naturally on a spectrum.
Variance, the state of being varied, is often seen as negative. Yet skills such as adaptability and variability helped our ancestors survive, and today are essential in gaining and maintaining balance, well-being and mindfulness. Being trans and/or also part of other minoritized or marginalized groups adds extras challenges for being accepted as who you are, of just living your life, of feeling safe in society, in your home, in your body.
You are invited to submit poetry/prose, visual art and photography for a collection gathering the dignity, the sacrifice, and the beauty of our lives, loves and living. Of our spirits.
WHO: Writers, photographers and artists of any kind or level who identify as trans (non-binary, gender non-conforming, trans-feminine, trans-masculine, mtf, ftm etc.) and Native/Indigenous persons who identify as two-spirit.
WHAT: We are accepting previously unpublished original 1) poetry and short works of prose, 2) artwork and 3) photography. You are invited to submit up to 3 pieces of work combined. For example, 2 poems and 1 artwork, or 1 photo, 1 poem and 1 artwork.
WHEN: Submissions are being accepted from 1 April- 31 October 2022 for publication in Winter/Spring 2023. Email your submissions to email@example.com. Acceptance notification by 28 October 2022.
POETRY & PROSE
- Poems should be no longer than 2 pages in length. Prose should be approximately 1,000 words in length.
- Work can be submitted in English or German, and please use 12 points Times New Roman or a plain font type for your submissions.
- Please copy and paste your work into the body of your email.
ARTWORK & PHOTOGRAPHY
- Please submit artwork and photography as: .jpeg, .pdf or .png formats, each no greater than 2GB in size.
- Please include a short description of your artwork or photography.
- All portrait-oriented artwork will be considered for the cover image of the collection, and used as such with permission of the contributor.
- Photographers must hold all rights to their materials and have all necessary permissions if there are identifiable persons in the images.
We accept simultaneous submissions. If a particular work is accepted elsewhere, please inform us immediately and withdraw your submission.
We ask that if submitting more than one work, please submit them all in one email.
We ask you to include a short bio with your submission(s). If your work(s) are selected, the bio may be included in the publication with the contributor’s permission.
Please only indicate POETRY, ARTWORK and/or PHOTOGRPAHY SUBMISSION in the subject line of your email.
CONTRIBUTOR’S RIGHTS & AWARD
When agreeing to publication of your work in this collection, this grants us first publishing rights. After publication, all rights to the material remain with the contributor.
When agreeing to publication, if your poem/s, art or photography are subsequently published elsewhere (in print or online), please credit this collection as first publisher.
Accepted contributors will receive one copy of the printed publication and one .pdf version.